Michigan Paddlers Rendezvous Saturday Sep 29, 2012

 Pine River - Silver Creek Campground to Dobson Bridge
Saturday morning broke with clear skies again, but not as cold as Friday. Since I needed to leave after today's trip, I decided to paddle with a different group. This group was doing the middle stretch of the Pine, while the group I was with was doing the lower stretch again, which I had paddled twice in the last 3 weeks. This meant I would be paddling with nine people I never met before.

The temperature warm up to the mid 70's again, perfect for a fall paddle.
The sun made the fall colors stand out even more.
 There were no real difficulties in this stretch of the river, which was a nice change of pace after the challenges of yesterday's paddle. Just a leisurely paddle with plenty of time to view the foliage.


Spent most of the day paddling with a very nice woman from Kalamazoo. Very interesting conversation, and she helped me stretch out my back to relieve my leg pain at lunch.










As we passed Dobson Bridge, we noticed that several paddlers had stopped. While talking with them, I mentioned that I needed to get back to my car at Silver Creek. A couple of kayakers from Indiana offered me a ride back to my car after dropping off their kids. Saved me from having to carry my kayak and gear up 65 steps to our campground. Kayakers are some of the nicest people I know.
A very enjoyable trip today, making several new friends. I will have to sign up again next year.
Length paddled today: 12.6 miles. Year to date: 233.8 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rob! You have some beautiful rivers in Michigan! Thanks for following my blog! I'll return the favor on my blog! Remember, to always take life one stroke at a time! Happy paddling, - Mike, the Durhamblogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Michigan gets a bad rap because of the economy and other problems, but it really is a beautiful state. There are lots of state and national forests, and in the fall the colors rival those in New England. If you ever get up this way I hope you have a chance to paddle some of our rivers. Not much in the way of whitewater, but the scenery is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete